Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cisneros-Inspired 3

I wrote a poem about Pete last night, not following the format of Cisneros' original poem so closely, and I was able to keep it from sounding so sad.  I'll post it later, if I remember.  I also wrote a poem about Sassy today, which turned out quite well.  I changed the cadence of a few of the lines, but I think it is pretty true to the original feel of the poem:


Sassy Who
                                Kelsie Baab

    Sassy who grumbles threats in her sleep
                and rolls over for belly rubs
                who is dust and wet paws
                who is a collar and a leash
                whose hair is a brittle leaf
                is too sleepy to go outside today
                who spoons me when I'm curled in a ball
                who follows me into the room just to watch
                whose wise eyes are furrowed
                can't get off the pillow
                sleeps in her dog bed day and night
                who used to wheeze and close her eyes
                is sleeping
                is a decorative pillow on a zoologist's couch
                is tired dropped her head
                doesn't want to play fetch
                barely looks when I squeak her toy
                whose tiny body keeps me warm at night
                is blankets and treats and afternoon walks
                who snores up and down up and down up and down again
                is the gray smoke over my backyard fire
                glowing, I love her
                I love that dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment