Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Writing on writing

I've begun a challenge -- provoked by Ms. Barbara Abercrombie here, I've begun writing dangerously for 365 days, which is to say that for 5-15 minutes a day, I read an anecdote followed by a quote by a known (sometimes and sometimes not-to-me) author, and then I ruminate on what was said.  Sometimes I respond directly, as when Toni Morrison asks her students to describe their ideal writing space; then I respond by trying to do just that.  But other prompts are less direct.  They are musings on writing from writers.  Like yesterday's page, for example, cited a Samuel Beckett quote that many authors use for inspiration, but I didn't find it very inspirational, so I simply explored the idea of failure and how many pages authors probably write for every 100 that gets published.  (My guess was 1000).

In other news -- and speaking of authors who have been posited as failures or has-beens, J.D. Salinger is supposedly making a come back. I mean, as we all know, he never really fell out of popularity, thanks to pop-culture, emo kids, and pseudo-intellectuals who laud Catcher in the Rye as the greatest piece of literature ever (blasphemy!), but, as has been predicted, he has been working on pieces that are going to be released ~2015-2020.  I wonder if any other canonical writers are hoarding literature from the world?  Morrison?  Marquez?

So the challenge has been fun - a release, like a self-meditation in a way, but I've still not figured out how to 'release my inner writer,' (as apparently 28,500,000 google searches call it).  I'm still looking for a muse.

Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment